Why Buy This Product?
Whether you’re new to using a craft cutting machine or you’re looking for a new one, you’ll be happy to know that Silhouette, one of the leading brands of cutting machines have recently introduced their latest Cameo model. The Cameo 4 is Silhouette’s 2019 model that claims to create precision cuts in all types of material and has updated features, accessories, and design. It can be the cutting machine you’re looking for. Let’s see if the Cameo 4 lives up to its name and if it has surpassed its Cameo siblings in this Silhouette Cameo 4 review.
Introduction of Cameo 4
- Bonus content on Amazon only: digital copy of the silhouette Handbook and 10 exclusive designs. The silhouette Cameo 4 is the evolution in desktop cutting. Conveniently stored in the machine's compact pull-out drawer is a new built in roll feeder for quickly cutting vinyl and heat transfer material directly from a roll. On the back of the Cameo 4 You will find a built in cross cutter allowing for a clean straight edge cut on your vinyl roll for your next project.
- The Cameo unique dual carriage allows for tool Type detection. The machine's ultra-smart system uses tool sensor technology that detects what tool you are using which then triggers the silhouette Studio software to adjust cut settings automatically.
- The Cameo 4 stands apart from previous models with the new dual motor system, which allows you to cut in two distinct ways. Carriage one provides the Cameo 4 with unparalleled speed. It is operated from a solenoid motor that gives makers smooth and intricate cuts. Cameo 4 can cut or sketch up to 3x faster than previous models without sacrificing accuracy. Carriage two is operated by an entirely different style of motor that allows for unprecedented power.
- The Cameo 4 carriage 2 boasts additional cutting force! With the increased downforce of the Cameo 4, we now offer a new rotary and Kraft blade (Sold separately) that have been specifically designed to operate with the Cameo smart tangential technology. With smart tangential technology the Cameo 4 cuts thicker material without sacrificing quality with each cut. The Cameo 4 offers true mat-less cutting which allows cutting cardstock, paper, and other materials without using a mat.
- The autoblade has been reconfigured especially for the Cameo 4. This second generation autoblade will have a single-tap reset which will reduce the time needed for the Cameo 4 to automatically adjust the blade setting for your project.
Last update on 2020-02-20 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
The Cameo 4 cutting machine is one of Silhouette’s flagship models. It has an updated design, even the rotary blades had a facelift but still retains the Silhouette’s versatility and strength. Cameo 4 has updated specs with a one of a kind roll feeder to let you work on rolled material for more projects to make. It comes with the Studio software that lets you create all kinds of designs in an instant.
Product Review of Silhouette Cameo 4
At first glance, the Cameo 4 looks like a dull machine with hardly any buttons in lifeless color. But when you open the front section, you’ll see that all the magic happens inside. Outcomes the roll feeder where you’ll load the rolled material. The controls are on the right of the machine, but it’s hard to see. The blade carriage can also be seen when you open the feeder and on the carriage sits two blades that function alternately. Lift it, and it’s heavier than most cutting machines. It weighs around 13+ pounds and thus may be hard to transport. You can also check out our list of the best Silhouette Cameo bundle deals.
Ease of use
The Cameo 4 connects to your PC or laptop through the Silhouette Studio software. This software lets you create your design, or you can choose from the Design Store where you can download free and pay to use designs. Once the material is loaded on the feeder, just select and load the blade you want to use.
You can use a rotary blade, Kraft blade, AutoBlade, and the punch tool. Any kind of tool you use, the Cameo 4 instantly detects the tool and automatically adjusts the pressure on the tip of the tool for the best results. This machine can work on all kinds of material, including vinyl, cardstock, cardboard, fabric, and many more.
Updated roll feeder
The roll feeder is the best feature of this cutting machine as it allows you to use rolled materials (vinyl and other transfer materials) to make larger designs. It holds the role well to keep cuts straight and mistake-free. But if you’re not using rolled material, then you may use its cutting mat for traditional cutting.
Use the tool you need
Your purchase includes the AutoBlade and the Punch Tool while the Rotary Blade and the Kraft Blade for the Cameo 4. The AutoBlade 2 is now available on the Cameo 4. This blade is made of sintered tungsten, which will automatically adjust according to the material and the design using the Silhouette Studio software.
Meanwhile, the Punch Tool creates weeding lines on vinyl and heat transfer material. The Studio software will let you choose if you want to weed out the negative space or the positive space on your design. The Punch Tool is made of strong Tungsten carbide and too bad it’s only compatible with the Cameo 4.
Meanwhile, the Rotary Blade is a 1 mm tungsten carbide blade that lets you cut with a rolling blade. It is the blade to cut on cotton fabric, wool, leather, and felt without using any stabilizer backing material. The Kraft Blade is a stainless steel blade that may be manually adjusted to cut specialty materials like acetate, leather, burlap, craft foam, and more. This blade can easily cut thicker materials thanks to the Cameo 4’s thicker clearance.
Automatic tool detection
Just place the blade or tool that you wish to use, and the Cameo 4 will easily adjust the dual carriage accordingly. The smart tool sensing feature triggers the Studio software to automatically adjust the cut settings.
The Cameo 4 connects to your device, laptop, or PC through the Silhouette Studio software. This software comes for free and is easy to use. This comes with more than 100,000 designs, but not all of these are free. You need to pay for some designs to download them. But you can also use the Studio to make your designs. Also, you can check out our comparison of Cameo 4 vs. Cameo 3 and Cameo 4 vs Cricut Maker.
Specs and Features
– It can cut a variety of materials, including cardstock, fabric, vinyl, and more.
– Compatible with four different types of tools/blades
– Comes with a built-in roll feeder; width settings 9 x 12 inches, max roll diameter 4.5 inches and max material core size 3 inches
– With a built-in cross cutter
– Compatible with the Silhouette Studio software
– Easily connects to your device, laptop or PC using the Studio software
– Download designs or makes your own using the Studio software
– With dual tool carriage tool detection with automatic adjustments
The Silhouette Cameo 4 is Silhouette’s newest machine with a new roll feeder. It can work on rolled materials as well as flat materials, and with the Silhouette Studio software, you can make your design or download and use a variety of designs. The four Cameo 4 blades/tools will work with this cutting material, but sadly, it only comes with the basic AutoBlade and the Punch Tool. It is simple to use, easy to adjust (with automatic adjustments too), and is versatile. Despite a few flaws, we recommend Cameo 4 as a good cutting machine for different projects.