If you are planning on doing designs and artworks, then you could have been thinking of buying a cutting machine to help you out on crafting and lay outing. But then upon going through online or to local stores, you’ll face again a dilemma of choosing the appropriate cutting machine given that you have a lot of these machines to choose upon.
In order to lessen your burden, we will help you out with this problem. We narrow down two of the best seller cutting machines that have been sold today. These cutting machines have been used by a lot of users and have been reviewed significantly.
Let the battle of cutting machines begin!
The Definition of Silhouette Cameo and Cricut
You could be confused about the name of the two cutting machines because they don’t even have a single similarity with the words they use. Most often products with a similar purpose have at least a word that connects to them. With these, there is nothing. That is why, before evaluation of each product we will get that link between the two products so we will compare and contrast both of them later on.
• Silhouette Cameo
This is an absolute DIY machine that is low-cost and efficient. It often utilizes and install in homes to aid in scrapbooking, home decoration, and even in mug or T-shirt printing. This is a cutting plotter that usually employs vinyl as its primary material. Like a home printer, this machine is connected to a computer via a software with the same name. This is specifically run by a multi-company is USA named, “Silhouette Cameo USA”.
Like Silhouette Cameo, Cricut is another die cutting machine that has been used on designing. It has been administrated and made by an American Company named Provo Craft & Novelty, Inc. or most commonly known as Provo Craft. Though both products have the same purpose, they contain different features and type of software (for such case in Cricut is Cricut Craft Room software). Cricut also has been used for home decoration and scrapbooking. Like Silhouette Cameo, you could use a variety of cutting materials from vinyl to fabrics (you can check out the best fabric cutting machines here).
#1. Silhouette CAMEO 3 Wireless Cutting Machine
Silhouette’s flagship machine is one of the most popular die cutting machines to design and home decoration, enthusiasts. It can cut variation of materials from fabric, vinyl, paper, and cardstock measuring up to 12 inches wide and 10 feet long. It has a sleek, large and modernized touchscreen design incorporating wireless connectivity via Bluetooth to conserve space and congestion from wires and cables. It has a powerful blade that cuts grip and fast performance. The upgrade of Cameo has dual carriage performing two functions in one operation. You could do the cutting and sketch at the same time. This could ease the process and save time as you needed it. If you want to buy this product, you could check it online or to your local shops in your vicinity to follow you through. You can check out the deeply review of Silhouette CAMEO 3 here.
Its features include the following;
- A compatible and built-in auto-adjustable blade that still lacks reliability.
- The touch screen interface was very responsive and user-friendly.
- Bluetooth seems good but is still incompatible with various devices.
- The instructional manual only deals with the basic setup and installation of the software. There is no in-depth discussion.
- Makes great cut and sketches. Versatility at its best!
- The dual carriage is lit. It is well-efficient for numerous and immediate operation.
- Easy installation.
- A bit bulky and large. Its dimensions are 22 ½ “x 8.5″ x 6” and weighs about 12 pounds.
- Works without using mats.
- Recognizes Pixscan Technology and Print & Cut so you could cut or sketch just by scanning or taking pictures.
- An extra storage compartment to keep your tools, blades, and sketch pens.
- Power supply that could run from 110 volts to 240 volts.
- Includes Free Pre-packaged Silhouette Designs.
- Comes with USB and Power Cable, 12-inch cutting mat, and Silhouette Studio Software.
#2. Cricut Explore Air 2 Machine
This new and hit die cutting machine has been brag on by Cricut for its two times faster cutting than any other machines in its Fast Mode. Its powerful cut could be employed more than 100 materials for which includes vinyl, fabrics, and leather. It also creates and cuts intricately with its designs readily available online or you could make some through uploading it free to its website. This is completely wireless via Bluetooth so you don’t need to mess with wires when using this. This is an absolute purchase for those who want to decorate their homes, print customized shirts, or make a scrapbook. If you are interested, then you could look at it online for more details or you can read the deeply review of this machine here.
The features of this die cutting machine includes the following;
- Extremely fast and convenient especially for multiple printing and cutting.
- Easy installation and utilization of the software.
- A bit traffic and weak Design store.
- Flexible to wide-ranging materials.
- Software does not work offline.
- Expensive accessories.
- Excellent cutting feature with Smartset dial to ensure proper cutting depth and application of pressure.
- Allows wireless connectivity though depends on compatibility.
- Unreliable Android app.
- Power supply works on 110 to 220 volts.
- Upload images through various formats (.jpeg, .jpg, or .png)
- Lightweight specifically weighs 6 pounds.
- Strong and Authentic Body
- Comes with Power, USB and starter kit (German carbide blade, pen and green 12x 12 starting mat)
- Contains basic instructional manual for first-timers.
Similarities between the Cricut Explore Air 2 Machine and the Silhouette CAMEO 3 Wireless Cutting Machine
The two brands have been competing vying for best cutting machine manufacturer. They both have exhibit cutting quality and has been received a lot of patronage coming from its wide-ranging users worldwide. Specifically, both have a lot of similarities that you should take note.
First of all, it cuts over designs highly detailed and clear. Both could be used with a variety of materials from vinyl to fabrics enjoying the versatility. It employs wireless connectivity via Bluetooth to avoid wire concentration and improve the organization of things. Both have sophisticated modernized design and robust body. Also, both packages use a software and incorporate a design store to upload and took designs the way you wanted. Nonetheless, both contains also a starter kit such as pens and mats to accompany beginners well.
Which Die Cutting Machine is Ideal for me?
If you’ll look into its features, you will immediately go for Silhouette Cameo 3 machine because it has more detailed and additional specifications as compared to the latter. It has a dual cartridge and auto-adjust blade for which Cricut’s model does not have. Also, Cricut’s software does not support well to places with slow and no Internet connection. The software for Cricut is mainly web-based so you could not freely design if you are not entirely connected to the internet.
But if you are thinking to start a small business, then Cricut makes an edge. Its machine is highly reliable for fast and multifold operations. It is also cheaper (discounted price) than the latter machine. Though you’ll get hard on software and computer issues if you have a stable Internet connection then this software is quite good.
Overall, both products are extremely recommended. It’s really hard to choose upon just comparing its features. You need to weigh on a fast cutting versus a highly stable and multi-featured cutting. But nonetheless, whatever you will choose, your money will sure be worth it.