If you want to make your own DIY art projects using different materials like vinyl, cardstock, paper, and fabric, Silhouette Cameo offers the best features. When it comes to available cutting machines today, the Silhouette Cameo 3, 2, and 1 are most sought. They come with amazing features to help you complete your DIY projects with ease and confidence.
However, what are the differences between Cameo 3, Cameo 2, and Cameo 1? Do they have similar features too? What makes one a winner from the other? In this post, you’ll learn the differences between these three cutting machines. First, we will discuss how to choose a good cutting machine. Next, we’ll take an in-depth review of each Cameo cutting machine, and then we will compare each in terms of advanced features, functionality, sizes, work area, and the compatible materials you can use.
Silhouette Cameo 3 vs 2 vs 1: Which One Should You Buy?
1. Silhouette Cameo 3
The Silhouette Cameo 3 doesn’t only cut different materials such as vinyl, cardstock, paper, and fabric, up to 12 in. wide and 10 ft. long, it also features wireless connection via the Bluetooth technology. It means that you can import files of your designs seamlessly. It has a built-in dual-carriage which is great for multi-tool use. It gives 2 mm additional clearance so you can cut thicker materials.
You can also plug your Silhouette Cameo 3 into your computer and use the Silhouette Studio software to create special projects. It is compatible with PixScan and Print & Cut technology, as well as the famous self-adjusting Auto-Blade. You’ll be impressed with the matless cutting ability of Silhouette Cameo 3. It also offers a blade storage compartment and other storage compartments for other items as well.
For repeated cutting jobs, the Silhouette Cameo 3 has surprisingly a barcode scanning feature for your repetitive projects. Like previous models, this tool also has a Silhouette Design Store, storing over 100,000 ready-made designs. Also, you’ll get 100 free images with free access for the first month. Make sure to register the machine so you won’t lose the free opportunity for the first month.
Introducing the Silhouette CAMEO® 3 Desktop Cutting System
Conclusion: You’ll be amazed with the built-in Bluetooth feature of Cameo 3 for wireless communication. Obtain cut jobs that are not on your computer and still receive cut jobs without connecting to a computer. Cameo 3 is most-sought for its Auto-Blade feature, so you don’t need to make necessary adjustments anymore.
- Cuts a variety of material including vinyl, paper, cardstock, fabric, and other materials up to 12 inches wide and 10 feet long.
- Use the powerful Silhouette Studio design software to create your projects. Features Bluetooth technology for wireless cutting or plugs into your home computer.
- Features a dual-carriage for multi-tool use and a higher 2 mm clearance to cut thicker materials. Is compatible with Print & Cut and PixScan technology.
- Is the only Silhouette compatible with the self-adjusting AutoBlade.
- Includes Silhouette CAMEO cutting machine, Silhouette Studio software, power cable and USB cable, 12-Inch Cutting Mat, AutoBlade cutting blade
2. Silhouette Cameo 2
If you’re looking for a cutting machine for creating customized designs and cutting detailed images, the Silhouette Cameo 2 is a great choice. It is one of the best professional machines available in the market today. While this cutting machine is limited to certain types of materials, it still remains a good choice for those who prefer a basic cutter. The starter bundle comes with cutting sheets, cutting blades, and cutting mats. It also has a vinyl trimmer, transfer paper, glass, hook tool, guide, and sketch pens.
The amazing feature of this cutting machine is that you don’t need a computer or Internet for it to work. It has a studio software, powerful enough to enable you to purchase, create, or import your own designs even from scratch. It also has a scan and cut feature, allowing you to print designs from your printer for your Cameo 2 to cut them out.
Before buying your Silhouette Cameo 2, make sure that the Silhouette studio software has been installed. You can also import files from other locations other than what is available at the Silhouette store. If you’re into scanning things, such as stamped images, into your Cameo, you can have it cut around it, you need to ensure that it Pixscan compatible. It will your Cameo 2 machine to cut around a printed design precisely or accurately position cut lines in targeted locations on the material. We also have a comparison of the Cameo 4 vs. Cameo 3 that you might like to check
Silhouette Cameo 2 Cutting Machine
Conclusion: You can digitize your fabric patterns and stamp collection based on the corresponding cut files seamlessly with Silhouette Cameo 2. The Silhouette studio software will make your work a lot easier, allowing you to buy from the Silhouette store in a breeze.
3. Silhouette Cameo 1
The Silhouette CAMEO 1 is a cutting machine with the capability to cut different materials, such as fabric and vinyl. It can cut up to 12 in. wide and 10 ft. long. It has a responsive touchscreen with an on-unit cross cutter and accessory storage. You can cut printed images and designs precisely with the print and cut feature. It is a perfect cutting machine for making stickers and printed iron ons.
The Silhouette CAMEO 1 Electronic Cutting Machine includes a cutting blade, a 12 in. cutting mat, and a hundred of preloaded designs. It also includes an easy to use Silhouette Studio. The powerful program enables you to make your own designs. You can use your own images and fonts with your CAMEO.
Silhouette Cameo – Electronic Cutting Tool
Conclusion: You can try the Silhouette CAMEO 1 Electronic Cutting Machine to cut vinyl. Enjoy making some signage and other DIY projects. You don’t have to spend a lot of money on expensive cutting machines just to enjoy your favorite hobby, because Silhouette CAMEO 1 got you covered!
- The Silhouette CAMEO is an electronic cutting machine that can cut a variety of materials (from vinyl to fabric) up to 12 inches wide and 10 feet long.
- This model improves upon its predecessor with a responsive touchscreen, a handy on-unit cross cutter, and built in accessory storage.
- The CAMEO’s Print & Cut feature lets you cut precisely around designs and images you have printed on your home printer. Perfect for making stickers, printed iron ons, and much more.
- The Silhouette CAMEO includes a 12” cutting mat, a cutting blade, and 100 preloaded designs.
- The CAMEO includes Silhouette Studio, an easy to use but powerful program which allows you to create your own designs using your own fonts and images with your CAMEO.
1. “Advanced Functionality” Comparison
– Cameo 3
This is a versatile DIY cutting machine that can help you cut printed materials from different types. So far, it is the model with the largest cutting space, cutting a wide variety of materials. It’s PixScan compatible. It also comes with the popular Silhouette Studio design software as well as the Bluetooth technology. Now, it’s possible to prepare your next finest projects because you can seamlessly connect with your smartphone, laptop, or desktop computer for storing work.
– Cameo 2
This cutting machine doubles what a regular home printer can do. It comes with a silhouette studio software, enabling you to create unique designs using the fonts and patterns that are already present in your computer. Enjoy choosing from thousands of new designs that are available on the online store. Cutting designs is seamless with Cameo 2 equally using a pen or blade. Because it’s PixScan compatible, you can register and cut various printed materials flawlessly. It can store your artwork wherever you want when connected to a Mac or desktop with a USB cable.
– Cameo 1
The Cameo 1 cuts materials such as fabric, paper, cardstock, vinyl, and more as well as register them. It is considered a cartridge-free die cutter, creating striking designs and performing artwork functions even without a computer. The designs can be saved in a computer via jump drive. Cameo 1 functions like a home printer that you can easily connect to a desktop computer or Mac with a USB cable.
Verdict: All these DIY cutting machines give the same results. It means that whatever you choose, you can design and complete any project with ease and confidence. With advanced functionality, Cameo 3 stands as the winner.
2. “Features” Comparison
– More than 100,000 designs available in Silhouette Design Store
– Built-in auto blade compatible
– PixScan Technology enabled
– Resourceful silhouette studio software
– Full-color LCD touchscreen with mini tutorials
– Extra storage for ease of access
– Has the ability to cut thicker material
– Increased clearance level (2 millimeters)
– Tool and blade storage compartments
– USB port
– Power-saving sleep mode
– Fiberglass-reinforced synchronized belt
– Silhouette blue highlighted guide marks
– Comes with Silhouette studio software
– Multitasking DIY machine
– Cutting and sketching with a pen or a blade
– Full-color LCD touch screen
– Cross-cutter for cutting materials directly from a roll
– Steel Spring Rollers
– Access to thousands of designs
– Easy visual placements through guide marks
– PixScan technology compatibility
– Extra storage compartments (two located at sides)
– Full-color LCD
– Touch screen
– USB port
– Vinyl trimmer
– Storage compartment
– Improved cutting head
– Sleep mode
– 12-inch cutting width
– Steel spring rollers
– Cross cutter located at the back of the unit
– Compatible with Silhouette roll-feeder
– Built-in optical scanner (printing and cutting applications)
– LCD touch-screen in full-color
– USB port
– Power-saving sleep mode
– Blade storage compartment
– Compatible with PixScan technology
– Compatible with PC and Mac
– Matless cutting capability
– Lightweight body
– Fiberglass-reinforced synchronized belt keeping cuts precise
– Silhouette blue guide marks
– Silhouette Design Store access
– The latest version provides a full-color touchscreen (print-and-cut functionality)
Verdict: All Cameo versions are compatible with Pixcan technology and PC or MAC. Also, everything comes with a storage compartment and LCD touch-screen in full-color. When it comes to advanced features, we highly recommend Cameo 3 with more than 100,000 designs available in the Silhouette Design Store and the built-in auto blade compatibility. For beginners, the Cameo 1 and 2 offer great features too.
3. “Cut Sizes” Comparison
– Cameo 3 Cuts approximately 12 inches wide and 10 feet long.
– Cameo 2 Cuts approximately 12 inches wide and 10 feet long.
– Cameo 1 Cuts approximately 12 inches wide and 10 feet long.
Verdict: All Cameo cutting machines have approximately the same cutting size so there isn’t so much choice in this category.
4. “Scanning Area” Comparison
– Cameo 3:
It’s PixScan technology compatible, allowing recognizing placed registration marks and optimal use on the PixScan cutting mat.
– Cameo 2:
It is also a PixScan algorithm compatible, recognizing specially placed registration marks worked on a PixScan cutting mat to obtain the best results.
With the print-and-cut functionality, you can cut around any pre-printed images of your choice. You can also take or scan a photo of an image, then import it into the Silhouette Studio with the PixScan technology, adding cut lines and making possible to cut out your handmade drawings. This is a distinct feature that is available in Cameo 1 no found on other die cutters.
Verdict: The Cameo, Cameo 2 and Cameo 3 are all PixScan compatible, scanning or taking a photo of an image.
5. “Blade” Comparison
– Cameo 3
This cutting machine comes with three blade types: a standard blade, a deep cut blade, and an auto blade. You can adjust the blades automatically.
– Cameo 2
The Cameo 2 has a small blade, cutting materials finely. The blades can be replaced using a pen for sketching like what it does when cutting.
This cutting machine has a low-pressure blade, cutting materials tough like chipboard.
Verdict: The Cameo 3 is the winner in this category because you have three blade choices to use in different kinds of work.
When it comes to choosing a cutting machine, you have to consider the following:
1. Advanced Features
The advanced features available may include Pixscan technology compatibility, blade options, and Bluetooth connectivity.
2. Materials Compatible
The different materials that a good cutting machine is compatible with includes cardstock, vinly, tissue paper, cereal box chipboard, iron-on transfer, lightweight fabric, stencil material, and rhinestone template material.
3. Studio Software
A studio software includes a double-cut feature that can cut different thick materials.
4. System Requirements
Choose a cutting machine that has a dual voltage if you want to use it anywhere and anytime, like the Cameo 3, using 100 to 240 Volt system. It comes with a plug adapter, accommodating the US plug prongs as needed.
It is now possible to create your own designs with different templates and designs available in a cutting machine’s design store like the Silhouette Design Store, offering thousands of designs.
Now, you’re more confident to choose the right cutting machine for your needs. CAMEO offers a wide range of options for you through the Cameo 3, 2, and 1. If you’re a beginner, you can start with Cameo 1 and 2, and eventually use Cameo 3 for more projects requiring advanced features.
More: Check out a comparison of Silhouette Cameo 3 vs Air 2.