1. What is an Oscilloscope? Why Do We Need This Product?
This is for any hobbyists and professions out there that need their hands on electronics or for anyone else about to take an interest journey on electronics. It is normal for any electronic newbies to be dazzled as a beginner enthusiast, just trying to find the right digital oscilloscope, to merely start out and pedal up the learning curve because you would not ever want to jump up to the arms-and-legs cost immediately. That is why the Rigol DS1054Z is designed to stay inexpensive, but performs splendidly for simple uses, for example, educational and home uses and can suffice for more complex projects. Say, if you need a powerful oscilloscope for your Arduino projects at a reasonable price, the Rigol DS1054Z still strikes the perfect balance.
2. Introduction of Rigol DS1054Z Oscilloscope
An Oscilloscope is extremely useful for any profession that requires capturing and recording an electronic signal for detail examination and comparisons between different channels; those professions being Engineers, Electronic Technicians, Healthcare, Physicists, Auto Repair, etc. However, the upgrades you get from the Rigol scope over the past scope are triggers, cursors, math functions and many more, so nothing needs to be eyeballed and hand-calculated. You will see that the Rigol scope is equipped with a lot of features like 4 channels display, graded intensity, tons of mathematical functions which has helped establish the Rigol as a solid brand.
3. Rigol DS1054Z Oscilloscope Review
If you have had experience with the slightly cheaper DS1052E, here’s the features gaps between them (Rigol DS1054Z vs DS1052E):
- The Rigol DS1054Z has one of the best Graded intensity display on the market. It’s got very analog-like display with 64 shaded levels, so it shows bright intensity at the levels where the wave hangs out more often whereas the DS1052E will show an oscillating wave as a simple solid yellow block. That makes the amount of information conveyed astonishingly high.
- You will find plenty more trigger modes, math functions and a lot more than the DS1052E.
- The Rigol DS1054Z defines more detail than the DS1052E with higher resolution display.
The Rigol DS1054Z having 4 channels is a huge selling point as it can come in handy when you want to look at signal relationships and logic. For those wondering if you need four channels, trust that once you have used 3+ once, you will never look back to two channels again. In addition to that, you will also be provided the ability to quickly focus in on certain time area of a recorded waveform so you can compare different channel data to the very small detail.
The UltraVision granting 7 large displays with a resolution of 800 x 480 pixels displaying all channels on a single screen. Besides this, it has got all the mathematical operators you could possibly need, and great amount of Horizontal and Vertical measurement functions, that makes a terrific feature for a low-end scope.
One small setback is the multiplexed vertical settings control. That means the 4 channels share the same vertical settings control, but you should expect that much from a low end scope.
The Bandwidth starts at 50 MHz, but is upgrade-able to 100 MHz, and so is the memory depth from 12 Mpts to 24Mpts. For higher frequencies, you may get some free computer software to help on data gathering through USB, and perform an FFT on your computer’s CPU instead of putting all the heavy workload on the scope itself. In addition, with just some firmware upgrades, the DS1054Z can enable ‘full screen’ XY display.
For starters, all the buttons and numbers can be confusing, but not worry as the DS1054Z scope provides you with beginner help that explains to you the different measurement functions and more. It would be hard to find another digital oscilloscope out there that satisfies this high expectation with low budget cost.
4. Specs & Features of Rigol DS1054Z
- Body Style: Benchtop
- Digital Oscilloscope Bandwidth: 50 MHz
- Channel: 4
- Memory Depth: 12 Mpts upgradable to 24 Mpts
- Sampling: 1 GSa/sec
- Waveform capture rate: Up to 30,000 wfms/s
- Resolution: 800 X 480 pixels
- UltraVision x Full Visibility: The large 7 display of the DS1054Z, with a resolution of 800 X 480 pixels makes it possible to view all channels on a single screen.
- 4 Channels Display, Graded Intensity with very analog-like display, and the ability to zoom in on certain area of time, delivers a lot of information and channel comparisons.
- Triggers, Storage and more!
- All the necessary mathematical operators, Horizontal and Vertical measurement functions arranged neatly on the sides of the screen.
- Need help as a beginners? The DS1054z scope has you covered. It provides instant explanation of different measurement functions where appropriate.
5. Final Word for Rigol DS1054Z Digital Oscilloscope:
Granted, higher end scopes can have FFTs going up to ~130000 count while the FFT count of the DS1054Z scope is something like 600, which means frequencies can just slip through the crack, so to speak. However, for an enthusiastic hobbyist, for teachers and parents wanting to light an electric fire in their kids, and for most of the projects that don’t require examining a frequency too high, this will do splendidly with a price that knocks other digital scopes off the table.
Rigol DS1054Z Oscilloscope Review Summary