Watering gardens and plants have been an effortless job through the years of innovation. A simple watering hose has continuously been evolving to the sprinkler system that most gardens and farms utilized to water their plants. Likewise, a conventional sprinkler system runs through a series of pipes, channels, and motorized valves. This takes every grower into confusion because of the complication of the system.
To get more details, let’s take a review to three of the most known and well-sought sprinkler controller available in the market are Rachio vs Rainmachine vs Skydrop. This review will compare and contrast the features of each model. At the end of this review, we will try to evaluate on what product works best to your gardens.
Rachio vs Rainmachine vs Skydrop
What is a Smart Sprinkler Controller?
These are specialized sprinklers that are programmed to water the plants. These devices are used to monitor weather, amount of water to be poured upon, and the watering cycle of the plants. It uses WiFi and the pre-attached sensors placed within the area to read and gather all the information as particular to the weather and all necessary things that concern watering of plants.
Likewise, these data are all displayed on a web or mobile app. Through this app, you’ll get a full grasp of the situation, monitor, and control the watering cycles as needed by the plant.
#1. Rachio Smart Sprinkler Controller
Table of Contents
- #1. Rachio Smart Sprinkler Controller
- #2. RainMachine Touch HD-16 – The Forecast Sprinkler
- #3. SkyDrop 8 Zone Wifi-Enabled Smart Sprinkler Controller
- The Similarities with SkyDrop 8 Zone Wifi-Enabled Smart Sprinkler Controller, RainMachine Touch HD-16, and Rachio Smart Sprinkler Controller
- Rachio vs Rainmachine vs Skydrop: Which Smart Sprinkling Controller Works Best?
Rachio’s water controller that would do great for your garden and lawns. These water sprinklers work via downloading the Rachio app that is available in all app stores. You’ll save at least 50% of your water bills by using this technology. The watering system reverts if rain is forecasted and is readily adjusted as the season’s change. Aside from that, this device automatically water the plants as customized in a given schedule set by the device. This customization depends on the sun exposure and plant type as searched through the WiFi connection. This sprinkler caters only 16 zones and works with Amazon’s Alexa. This 2.5 lb simple and white coated device does not have any manual controls in its interface. This device is easy to install and use. It could still be used even if the WiFi signal is weak. This device is quite flexible to different situations. A highly trusted brand and EPA WaterSense Certified. Plus, the customer service is very responsive.
Specifications and Features
• Downloadable Rachio App
• Works with Amazon’s Alexa
• Compatible with Different OS
• 8-16 zones kits
• Cloud-based controller
• EPA WaterSense Certified
• Weather Monitoring
• Highly Customized Watering Conditions
• IFTTT Integration
- MOST 5-STAR RATINGS. Amazon’s most- and highest-rated WiFi sprinkler controller is the Rachio Generation 2 Smart Sprinkler Controller.
- UNBEATABLE USABILITY. Download the Rachio app to care for your lawn remotely with your smartphone, tablet or laptop, use a connected home system or run zones directly from the controller itself.
- ADAPTS TO YOUR LAWN. Set your own schedules or input details like plant type and sun exposure to let Rachio automatically water your lawn with exactly what it needs to thrive, and not a drop more. Detect leaks and maximize watering precision with the Wireless Flow Meter. Leverage sensitive Vortex technology to detect even low-flow leaks before they reach crisis
- ONLY WITH RACHIO - RAIN AND WIND SKIPS. Rachio Weather Intelligence uses comprehensive weather data to automatically adjust your irrigation schedule based on the latest local forecasts.
- SAVE WATER, SAVE MONEY. Reduce your water bill by up to 50% while keeping your garden healthy. EPA WaterSense certified - eligible for utility rebates of up to 100% off (check your local water provider).
#2. RainMachine Touch HD-16 – The Forecast Sprinkler
An upgrade from HD-12, RainMachine has been taking a significant leap to its product. This 2 lb device rectangular in shape consists of a 5.6-inch touchscreen display for easy monitoring of weather and watering conditions. Also, the RainMachine app is essential for control and up close supervising with the device’s operation. This app is accessible also to computers through looking to it any web browsers. It enables a maximum of 16 zones variants for utilization. It could be partnered with Amazon Echo for a convenient and hands-free monitoring. This RainMachine is not dependent on the internet and functions even without WiFi. The product brags on its 15-minute easy course installation and 80% recorded water saving just utilizing this device. This device is WaterSense Certified for efficiency and performance. We also have a list of the best wireless thermostats that you might like to check.
Specifications and Features
• Reliable Weather Forecasting
• Works with Smart Hubs and Amazon Echo
• WaterSense Certified
• Available with 16 zones
• Touchscreen with Illuminated Display
• Up Close Monitoring of Device, App, and Web Browser
• Easy Utilization and Setup
• User-friendly Screen Interface
• Cloud Independent
• iOS and Android Compatible
- Smart schedule & save water - save water With real-time weather adjustments. (Epa Water Sense certified, check for rebates)
- Cloud independent - all personal data stored locally. Rain Machine continues to work even when Wi-Fi is down.
- FREE WEATHER DATA - Direct access to NOAA, METNO or Wunderground, Open Weather Map, NetAtmo. Use National or Personal Weather Stations for pinpoint accuracy.
- Control from anywhere - color touch screen, iPhone, and Android, PC browser access with dashboard stats. Works from home, work or vacation. Indoor use only
- UPDATED MODEL (2019) - Improved WIFI. hundreds of Schedule and UI improvements. Integrate with Alexa, Google Home, Nest, WINK, SmartThings via IFTTT.
#3. SkyDrop 8 Zone Wifi-Enabled Smart Sprinkler Controller
A WiFi dependent controller that customizes watering conditions based on weather recordings on a given local data on the internet. The controller could be easily monitored by using your Android, tablet, and computer devices (iOs and Android).
Weighing about 3 lbs, this black coated camera-like LCD interface displays the day’s weather. The casing of the controller is weatherproof, so outdoors or indoors the controller is applicable. Also, this controller is scientifically made to provide specific information regarding the plant types, amount of shade and slope, and watering conditions for each respective zones. The controller caters a maximum of 16 zones.
All the system is easily installed that even a beginner could manage. This is an excellent smart sprinkling system for which you could save as much as 50% of your regular water bills. This is highly recommended by EPA WaterSense for the device’s efficiency and productivity.
The device is highly compatible with Alexa and could be connected with other smart home platforms such as Tap, Nest, and Philips Hue.
Specifications and Features
• Weather Monitoring
• LCD interface controller
• Maximum of 16 zone variants
• Compatible with Alexa
• Supports IFTT platforms devices
• Weatherproof Controller
- Connects to your WiFi network to access and monitor local weather data
- Remotely manage your controller from any smartphone (iOS or Android), iPad or web browser
- Fully incorporates imposed water restrictions into watering schedules
- Intelligently monitors hyper-local weather and will manage and adjust watering schedules for you Install indoors or you can setup outdoors with a weatherproof box
- Usage reports are available to help you track your water consumption
The Similarities with SkyDrop 8 Zone Wifi-Enabled Smart Sprinkler Controller, RainMachine Touch HD-16, and Rachio Smart Sprinkler Controller
Just by taking a glance at these three brands, you’ll notice that there are really small differences between the three. Almost all of the three shares the same features, compatibilities, and interface. Also, all three have astounding reviews from its users and quite popular to gardening and farming technology. Nonetheless, these three products have served their main purpose for which is making watering plants convenient and hassle-free. These three devices are highly responsive and reliable through weather data and monitoring planting conditions.
Also, all have compatibility with smart home platform devices with IFTT formats and with voice-activated speaker, specifically Amazon’s Alexa. All are also WiFi directed and includes monitoring through apps or web browsers as supported by multiple Android and computer devices.
All products are also certified by EPA WaterSense and brag on saving 50% of water outdoor bills if the products are smartly utilized. The three are easy to use and setup as well with great customer service as said by its users. All three systems also cater a maximum of 16 zones with access to API.
Though, all three have different design and controller interface. The three devices have durable and intuitive controllers that are perfect for your home gardens and farms.
Rachio vs Rainmachine vs Skydrop: Which Smart Sprinkling Controller Works Best?
As said, all the products featured are critically acclaimed by its users. Though, there are still critiques from few users. Nonetheless, each product works differently yet still have the same function and purpose.
Without reading the specs and features, you could not identify perhaps what is definitely the best among the three products. Mere utilization all the three won’t be enough for you to judge on what’s best among these three. All nearly have the same features.
But nonetheless, you’ll notice that RainMachine have the edge with the three. It enjoys reliability to weather data since it gets the data from multiple sources. The information displayed on the interface of the controller is very specific and even takes forecasts watering system for weeks and even months.
The product is also cloud independent. This means that it works without turning on the internet often. It is also very compatible with multiple formats of smart home devices including hubs and voice-activated speakers.
But if you look upon each of the prices, you’ll see that Rachio has the advantage. Skydrop’s product comes next with a few dollar difference and RainMachine with about a hundred dollar difference from Rachio.
Thus, RainMachine is expensive yet have more features as compared to the other two devices. Rachio and Skydrop have almost the same features except for its design and interface. Rachio’s controller does not have a manual and monitoring to a LED display through weather or watering system for which Skydrop has. But as you can see, Rachio is cheap. Consequently, a few dollar deficient could mean a LED display to Rachio.
Overall, every device has its pros and cons. If you want to buy an expensive with a reliable and well-detailed data and interface, then you should go with RainMachine. Likewise, if you want cheaper with no LED controller display, then go with Rachio. But if you want something in between, Skydrop is the best choice.
Conclusion: These smart sprinkler controllers have proven to be useful to a lot of garden owners and plant enthusiasts on monitoring and taking care of their plants. It gives them assurance that their plants are well-nurtured with the right amount of water day by day.
Nonetheless, if you get one smart sprinkler controller, use it properly and follow instructions as needed. There will always a manual or guide on installation and utilization of the product. But if you find your smart sprinkler controller defective, then you could always give a call to the customer support and enjoy its warranty. Happy watering!
P.S: If you’re looking for the best smart thermostats to control the temperatures, then check out this page.