What are bookshelf speakers? They’re (ostensibly) speakers the size of a bookshelf. Some speakers require bookshelf speakers stands to better stand on its own or to elevate themselves. Others are box-shaped so they can stand on their own. With that said, how does one shop for their own pair of bookshelf speakers?
- Value Section on Bookshelf Speakers
- Top 10 Best Bookshelf Speakers:
- #1. Edifier R1280T Powered Bookshelf Speakers
- #2. Edifier R1700BT Bluetooth Bookshelf Speakers – Active Near-field Studio Monitors
- #3. Edifier S1000DB Audiophile Active Bookshelf Speakers
- #4. Klipsch R-14M 4-Inch Reference Bookshelf Speakers
- #5. KEF Q350 Bookshelf Speakers
- #6. Dynaudio Xeo 2 Wireless Bookshelf Speakers, Limited Edition
- #7. Audioengine A2+ Powered Desktop Speakers
- #8. JBL ES20 Bookshelf Speaker
- #9. Klipsch R-15PM Powered Monitor
- #10. Raumfeld Stereo M Wireless Streaming Bookshelf Speakers
Value Section on Bookshelf Speakers
Quite a lot of people value their home entertainment system as an essential part of the home experience. Rather than go to a smelly theater, they can instead enjoy the latest superhero movies on HBO or get into the Game of Thrones bandwagon.
With every home entertainment system, there are audio concerns. As an audiophile, you want to get the best speakers available for your system but you probably can’t (or won’t) shell out $1,500 to $2,000 for the best floor standing tower speakers, so you instead shop for the next best thing, which are the best bookshelf speakers.
With that said, here are the things to remember when determining which bookshelf-sized or book-sized speakers you should buy in order to create the ideal sound for you.
- Bookshelf Speaker Characteristics: These speakers work best with a bookshelf or any other type of shelf that raises it up, like a china cabinet or a glass case. A bookshelf is just one of many ways to make your speaker work (along with a bookshelf speakers wall mount). Actually, an open table here it’s placed like a vase works better because nothing is covering the sound. A wall mount actually works better to raise the quality of the speakers as well. They’re also best bought as a set.
- Bookshelf Speaker Components: There are a number of bookshelf speaker components for you to get, such as the bookshelf speakers amp, subwoofer, rear speakers, bass, and the like. Many of these components, like the bass or amp, are already included with the speaker itself or speakers themselves. They need these accessories in order for them to produce a wide range of sounds, from treble to bass and so forth.
- Bookshelf Speaker Roles: A bookshelf speaker can fulfill quite a number of roles in your home entertainment audio system, such as bookshelf speakers as front speakers, as rear speakers, as studio monitors, as computer speakers and bookshelf speakers as surrounds. The more speakers you have and the more roles they fulfill aside from being front speakers, the richer and livelier your sound system will become (but mostly the bookshelf speakers audiophile cares about such things).
- Bookshelf Speaker Capabilities: The roles that your bookshelf speakers should fulfill will depend on what they’re capable of, whether you buy your bookshelf speakers at best buy or at Amazon.com. Some speakers are good for producing high-range sound while others provide a fuller sound range. Your bookshelf speakers and subwoofer or bass will also help out in stretching out the truthfulness or fidelity of the sound of your speakers.
- Bookshelf Speaker Drivers: The tweeter and the woofer serve as the main drivers of your bookshelf speakers. Sometimes there’s a third driver known as the bookshelf speaker midrange driver. The ones that actually make the sound from digital or analog signals are the woofer and tweeter cones. The high frequency tones are covered by the tweeter and the bass is covered by the woofer. When shopping for speakers, check how their tweeters and woofers go about producing sound.
- Bookshelf Speaker Placement: The placement of the speakers can affect their quality. Make sure you have some sort of sturdy surface to place them on so that you can get the clearest possible sound from these devices. Don’t allow them to remain in an enclosed area for too long like some sort of book. Cramming them inside the door of an entertainment center’s enclosed area prevents their sound from flowing as freely and smoothly as they could.
- Placements to Use and Avoid: Rest the speaker on a speaker stand or mount instead of leaving them inside a bookshelf (despite their moniker). This will allow you to unleash the full potential of your bookshelf speakers usa. However, speakers that sit near hard, flat surfaces tend to have their sound quality go down. Soft surfaces like with furniture cushions or plants, do the same thing. It’s better to let the speaker rest on stands with rubber stops and whatnot to allow them to get the perfect sound bubble.
Top 10 Best Bookshelf Speakers:
#1. Edifier R1280T Powered Bookshelf Speakers
Is third time’s the charm? Maybe. Compared to the Edifier R1700BT and S1000DB, the Edifier R1280T has earned a score of 9.77 out of 10. Same general quality but slightly ahead of the other two.
- It has the same remote control found in S1000DB.
- It has the same faux wood finish as in R1700BT.
- It has the same Bluetooth technology as both.
- It offers the twin AUX input like in R1700BT.
- It approaches studio sound quality with its 4-inch full range and its 13mm silk dome tweeter.
- Some Edifier R1280T units produce a distracting buzz.
- It has the best of both worlds but the worst of both worlds too in terms of longevity.
#2. Edifier R1700BT Bluetooth Bookshelf Speakers – Active Near-field Studio Monitors
This particular speaker product for your bookshelf serves as a great pair of bookshelf speakers with bass. The Edifier R1700BT is a 9.75 out of 10 pair of speakers for sure.
- Classic and aesthetically pleasing wood design.
- RCA output that allows for connection of two devices via AUX.
- Excellent Bluetooth connection that works on any mobile device.
- Any device with a 3.5mm headphone output or dual RCA output can connect with the R1700BT.
- The wood finish isn’t real wood.
- Durability issues. They tend to blow right up. This really dragged its score down.
#3. Edifier S1000DB Audiophile Active Bookshelf Speakers
So what does the second Edifier speaker bring to the table? Pretty much the same thing as last time (bookshelf speakers with subwoofer), explaining why it has such a similar (but lower) score of 9.7 out of 10.
- Unlike the Edifier R1700BT, the S1000DB has its own remote control.
- AUX and Coaxial/Optical Inputs to allow attachment to multiple music players at the same time.
- 5.5-inch subwoofer with DSP tech to deliver RMS-quality sound over 120 watts.
- Bluetooth 4.0 connectivity that allows for wireless high quality streaming of sound with minimal quality loss.
- Bluetooth issues and quality control problems.
- Customer complaints about popping sounds from playing MP3s from a Macintosh.
#4. Klipsch R-14M 4-Inch Reference Bookshelf Speakers
The absolute gorgeous black-and-gold design of these bookshelf speakers black is heart-melting as far as I’m concerned. As an added bonus, this is a Klipsch product, which is the DeWalt brand of the speaker world. I rate this speaker as 9.7 out of 10, like the Edifier S1000DB.
- Tweeter is the 1-inch aluminum Linear Travel Suspension type.
- It includes a 4-inch copper-spun IMG woofer that’s high-output.
- With a working unit, you can get speakers that works beautifully left, right, center, or surround sound.
- Poor quality control.
- Some units have one of the speakers working wonky.
- Other units have low-volume speakers.
#5. KEF Q350 Bookshelf Speakers
The design of the KEF Q350 Bookshelf Speakers show that sometimes simple is best. The pricey bookshelf speakers kef gets a decent score of 9.6 over 10, which means mostly Edifier or Klipsch speakers are better than it.
- Award-winning Q series of KEF has given ample though on its physical design.
- It’s also available in white vinyl or matte black finishes.
- Q350 is no slouch performance-wise either, smoothening out treble frequencies and reimagining crossovers for precise bass delivery.
- Internal resonances have been reduced to improve clarity of audio.
- Placement issues (this is a nitpicky criticism at best).
- Few “real” flaws to speak of from the customers who bought it.
#6. Dynaudio Xeo 2 Wireless Bookshelf Speakers, Limited Edition
The beautifully designed gray and blue speakers can serve as the centerpiece of any household. It’s more than just looks, though, hence its 9.5 over 10 score. It’s definitely a bookshelf speakers reddit candidate.
- It won the “Best Active Speaker” award for a reason.
- It can stream anything via Bluetooth, whether it’s from an MP3 player, smartphone, tablet, or laptop.
- Multiple on-board physical inputs like digital optical, analog RCA stereo, or analog 3.5mm mini jack.
- Probably not worth buying unless you’re a sound engineer.
- Exorbitantly expensive. Almost worth the same as a large tower speaker.
#7. Audioengine A2+ Powered Desktop Speakers
Here’s another beautiful pair of speakers, this time designed with vibrant red colors. These are bookshelf speakers under 300, and they’ve earned a score of 9.5 over 10, like with Dynaudio Xeo 2.
- Comes complete with DAC (digital-to-analog converter) and ⅛-inch outputs.
- Delivers clear bass with its electrical and acoustic design without usage of fake bass boost circuits.
- Award-winning speakers that deliver high-quality digital audio direct from the USB port.
- Poor quality control.
- There are speakers that cut out from time to time.
- Some units last all of two months. Others lasted at least 10 months.
#8. JBL ES20 Bookshelf Speaker
JBL ES20 is able to separate itself from the other bookshelf speakers by being bigger than a pair of bookshelf speakers sony. This is why it’s rated by me as 9.5 out of 10.
- Stylish black speakers which look good anywhere in my opinion.
- Bass-reflex port (JBL propriety tech) that gives you less turbulence and deeper bass.
- Frequency expansion of up to 40 kHz through a UHF (ultra-high frequency) tweeter to reproduce hi-def audio.
- Not a very durable product considering its hefty price point.
- It has a lifespan of 3 years and one or the other speaker suddenly stops working.
#9. Klipsch R-15PM Powered Monitor
Klipsch is one of the premier names in the world of speakers and the R-15PM earns its stripes. This is a 9.3 out of 10 speaker in my book and in many other bookshelf speakers reviews.
- Delivers room-filling sound without taking up room-filling space like its floor-standing tower speaker counterparts.
- As a 21st century device, it also has USB digital audio capabilities that it picks up from any Macintosh computer or PC.
- It has versatility in terms of Phono/Line input because it comes with a pair of RCA phono-level inputs (so they’re bookshelf speakers for turntable use).
- Quality control issues.
- Customer service issues when reporting problems about Bluetooth or USB hookup.
#10. Raumfeld Stereo M Wireless Streaming Bookshelf Speakers
Pun unintended but there are some of the most “stereotypical”-looking bookshelf speakers wifi or wireless around. It earns an 8.9 over 10 because of quality issues though.
- Chromecast built-in tech to directly stream hundreds of music apps.
- The 320-watt amplifier is integrated.
- An inspired design straight out of Bauhaus.
- It includes lacquer finish, brushed aluminum controls, and wooden cabinets.
- Hi-def sound through a Wi-Fi connection capable of streaming music from your laptop or through the Internet via YouTube or SoundCloud.
- Quality control issues.
- At least one unit played sound on the passive speaker.
- At least another unit was sent with visual damage.
Conclusion: Hands down, the winner of this bookshelf speaker competition (whether you buy them as bookshelf speakers best buy or as bookshelf speakers amazon) is the Edifier R1280T Powered Bookshelf Speakers. It’s the option with the least amount of flaws and the most number of interesting features that make it a worthwhile buy in light of its price, like the presence of remote controls and Bluetooth tech. The bookshelf speakers edifier also suffer from the least amount of negative feedback on poor quality control among the 10 speakers on this list. Many speakers came close, but their critics or lack of attention dragged down their otherwise excellent scores.